Monday, June 8, 2009

"Gorilla, My Love", "Everyday Use", & "Girl"

In each story, I probably take the younger generation's side because I seem to relate to them more. In "Gorilla, My Love", it seems that a lot of what Hazel does revolves around what she has been taught. I can relate to that, and I am sure everyone can to an extent. I would have to say I am who I am today partly because of my family and the way I was raised. Hazel is loud and outspoken and anyone can clearly see that her family's that exact same way. Just as her mother stands up for what she believes to the teachers at the school, so also does Hazel try and stand up to the movie theatre manager. In "Everyday Use", I tend to side with Maggie, simply because she is quiet and really close with her mother. She seems to respect her mother way more than Dee ever has and it seems she is influenced more by her mother than Dee is. Dee has her own ideals and style, and Maggie seems to stick to what she knows which is how she was raised. In "Girl" I also would side with the younger generation because that is the stage where I am at now. To me, this story was a to do list made by a mother to her young adult daughter describing the roles and responsibilities held by a woman. So once again, the younger generation is being taught by the older generation, and I relate more to the younger generation in all three stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment