Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Desiree's Baby"

I really liked this story because of the twists in it. The ending was by far the best part and it makes one think of how they treat people. It definitely showed that one better be careful at judging, because more than likely, they do, act, or possess that same trait that they are judging. I liked Armand's character at the beginning of the story simply because he was loving and seemed to be a nice guy to Desiree. Throughout the rest of the story I did not like him because of his judgmental attitude towards Desiree, just because of her ethnicity. I feel like if he had a problem with marrying someone of a different race, then he should have found out about her origin before he married her.

I think the effect of the irony at the end of the story was simply to set up this whole idea of thinking before you judge. It turns out what he disowned his wife for was a real situation in his own family. Throughout the story he acted as if he was above the black people, when all along he was in a sense apart of them. At the end, I felt no sympathy for him, I felt like he had it coming to him for treating his wife and son the way he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment